Pages

Wednesday 30 May 2018

New Read Aloud Sessions

If I think about the books that made an impact on me as I was growing up, so many were read aloud. My Dad read us "Danny the Champion of the World" and "Winnie-The-Pooh". Teachers read books like "Charlotte's Web" and as I got older they read more challenging books like "To Kill a Mockingbird". They all taught me about different personalities and perspectives and helped to develop empathy. 

As an adult I read books to my children at home, like "The Enchanted Wood", "James & the Giant Peach" and"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and we had some wonderful moments together sharing books. 

Many of our first favourite stories are often from books that were read aloud to us. 

Our teachers at WPS do a wonderful job of reading aloud to classes. "Wonder", "Holes", "A Wrinkle in Time" and other carefully selected books are enjoyed by our students.

Inspired by Colby Sharp's post* about Read Aloud books I am going to start a designated time to read carefully picked chapter books aloud. I have read many picture books over the years, but need a special time to read chapter books. I'll start out with Mondays at 12h45 (15 minutes before the library opens for lunch) and see how that works out. Next Monday is the Queen's Birthday, so we will start on Monday 11th June. I will start reading "Fish in a Tree" by Lynda Mullaly Hunt. Looking forward to it!

Image result for fish in a tree

*Colby Sharp: (https://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2018/05/24/poll-last-read-aloud-of-the-school-year/)


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a put-up zone :)